Resident Support Services

Grievance Procedure

The Troy Housing Grievance Procedure shall be applicable to all grievances between the resident and the Troy Housing Authority. Any grievance or eviction or Termination of Tenancy based upon either a resident’s (a) drug-related activity on or near the premises engaged in by any member of the resident’s household, or (b) any other criminal activity which interferes or threatens the health, safety, or right to peaceful enjoyment on the premises by other residents, neighbors, or employees is expressly excluded from the Grievance Procedure.

The Troy Housing Authority Grievance Procedure shall not be applicable to disputes between residents not involving the Troy Housing Authority, or to class grievances. The Grievance Procedure is not intended as a forum for initiating or negotiating policy changes between a group or groups of residents and the Troy Housing Authority’s Board of Commissioners.

All grievances shall be presented in writing to the office of the project in which the complainant resides so that the grievances may first be discussed informally and settled without a hearing. A Summary of such discussion shall be prepared within a reasonable time and one copy shall be given to the resident and one retained in the Troy Housing Authority’s resident file. The Summary shall specify the names of the participants, date of meeting, the nature of the proposed disposition of the complaint and the specific reasons therefore. If the complainant is not satisfied, he or she may obtain a hearing as specified in the Grievance Procedure.

All requests for a grievance hearing other than an eviction or notice to terminate based upon a resident’s non-payment of rent, shall be presented in writing within 10 days of receiving a Notice to Terminate or receipt of a Summary of Discussion. The parties may elect to discuss informally the grievance at that time and, if possible, settle without a hearing. If the parties are unable to settle the grievance, the grievance will then proceed to a hearing as specified in the Grievance Procedure.

Requests for hearings must be submitted in writing within 10 days of the decision or action you wish to have reconsidered.

All requests should be addressed to:

Troy Housing Authority

Attn: Jay Vandenburgh, Hearing Officer
1 Eddy’s Lane
Troy, New York 12180

You will be notified by USPS mail of a time and date where you may present your issue to the Hearing Officer. You should bring any evidence or other proof you may have to this meeting.

To review the THA Grievance Procedure in its entirety, click here

Income Based Rent vs. Flat Rent

An income-based rent is a resident rent that is based on the family’s income and the THA’s rent policies for determination of such rent. THA’s rent policies will use a percentage of family income. In no case, may the income-based rent exceed the total resident payment (TTP) for the family minus any applicable utility allowance for resident-paid utilities.

Unlike income-based rents, flat rents do not fluctuate with changes in family income. Flat rents are based on the market rent charged for comparable units in the private unassisted rental market. It is equal to the estimated rent for which THA could promptly lease the unit. The flat rent is designed to encourage self-sufficiency and to avoid creating disincentives for continued residency by families who are attempting to become economically self-sufficient.

For more information, please speak with your Asset Manager.


Loss or Reduction of Resident Income May Effect Rent

If you are residing in a public housing apartment, your rent is determined by your household income. Failure to report income is considered fraud and punishable by law, however, if you lose your job, run out of unemployment benefits or experience some other hardship, you may be eligible for a rent reduction.

As always, you must provide proof of the change in your income and we require that proof come from a third party (your former employer, the Unemployment Insurance Department or whoever your former source of income was). It is the Troy Housing Authority’s policy that the minimum rent in public housing (resident portion) is $50.00 (fifty dollars) per month. If you experience a reduction in income you must inform us as soon as possible. THA residents should report the change to the Asset Manager & complete the Rent Change Request Paperwork Packet (available in all Management Offices). If you are able to document the loss of income prior to the closing of the accounts for the month (usually five business days before the end of the month), your rent for the following month may be eligible for a reduction. The amount of the reduction is based on the amount of income that was lost and the reason for that loss.

If you are unable to pay even the minimum rent, you may be eligible for a temporary hardship rent. Eligibility for a hardship rent is subject to reevaluation every 90 days and failure to provide the necessary documentation will result in your rent being adjusted back to the amount prior to the loss of income. Hardship rents may also be subject to repayment agreements if and when your income returns to normal or your temporary situation changes.

Rent Change Request Paperwork for Low Income Public Housing (LIPH)

This paperwork packet is utilized for any change of circumstance in the Resident’s household.

Types of Change:

Starting a New Job

Household member receiving Social Security or Disability

Decrease in Work Hours

Resident Paying for Daycare

Resident No Longer Working & Receiving Unemployment Benefits

Adding a New Child onto Lease

*Packet available in all Management Offices

Transfer Requests

In order to be eligible to transfer to a different apartment within the Troy Housing Authority, you must meet the good record requirements for transfers.

The good record requirements include all of the following:

  1. Have not engaged in criminal activity that threatens the health and safety of residents and staff, including verbal abuse of staff.
  2. Do not owe back rent or other charges.
  3. Do not have evidence of a pattern of late payment. Late payment is defined as no more than 2 late rent payments in the year preceding the transfer. Rent must be paid on time for the six months previous to the transfer date.
  4. Meet reasonable housekeeping standards and have no housekeeping lease violations.
  5. Can get utilities turned on in the name of the head of household (applicable only to properties with Resident-paid utilities).
  6. Residents must reside in the apartment for a minimum of one year before applying for a transfer.
  7. Must be up to date on all Community Service hours owed.

*Transfer Applications are available at all Management Offices or click here


Zero Income Checklist & Worksheet

This checklist and worksheet is to be completed for all families whose Total Resident Payment equals the minimum rent, and for all families reporting less than $100 per month in total income.

*Packet available in all Management Offices